[Photo: Gemma Ward]
Today we take a ride with the London-based duo The C90s (Danny Ashenden and Jamie Paterson) and we have more than one reason to do this:
1. The C90s is one of our favorite bands, who shares their mutual love for disco beats, handclaps, cowbells and vocoders the last two years.
2. They have released two amazing EPs “10:01″ and “Shine A Light” on Headman’s Relish label last year. Stuck on repeat!
3. They gained credit for their killer remixes of Headman, Tape To Tape, Tronik Youth, Roisin Murphy, Flight Facilities, Villa and most recently Golden Bug & Rodion and Midnight Savari. Already featured on La.Ga.Sta.
4. They’re cool, funny, and unstoppable. Plus they have a new studio in London. Expect big things!
5. Last but not least, they’re coming in Athens, Greece this Saturday (12/3) at Philipp Champagne Bar, as a special guest of the “BeDazzler” parties (free entrance).
While you read the interview and listen/download (do it) their new mixtape below, we will be driving with The C90s boys in the streets of Athens. Next stop: Disco! Fill it up!
La.Ga.Sta.: Why C90s?
Danny: We’re named after the famous cassette tape.
How came that a duo with the word 90s part of its name, is making disco music?
Danny: Beause we love disco!
Jamie: The name has nothing to do with the decade.
When was your first night at discotheque?
Danny: Probably when I was underage and shouldn’t have been there.
Jamie: I can’t remember the first time I sneaked into a club, but I used to do it a lot. At that age, however, it was more about chasing girls than music.
What has influenced you most in the past years?
Danny: I’d say the DFA label since it started. They opened my ears and eyes up a lot.
Jamie: I agree, it’s an incredible label. I’d also say living in London has influenced our output. I grew up in London and it’s definitely effected all aspects of my life, in both positive and negative ways.
Five words to describe The C90s…
Jamie: Two gentlemen making nice music.
What turns you on?
Jamie: A lack of pretention.
Danny: Jessica Alba
Which producers have you been digging at the moment and why?
Danny: Tom Trago, Bibio, Volta Cab, Krystal Klear and Salva are all putting out amazing albums or EPs either now or very shortly.
Which is your favorite place in London?
Danny: Recently, our new studio!
Jamie: Yeah, definitely. We’ve spent more time in there since we moved in than anywhere else.
Which is your favorite sound?
Jamie: Spurs fans celebrating a Tottenham goal.
Danny: A fat cat purring.
What are your plans for 2011?
Danny: Get rich or die trying.
Jamie: And that includes releasing a few singles and an EP.
What makes you wanna shine a light?
Jamie: Yeah, drinking champagne and playing some records.
What you will do tonight?
Jamie: Spend some more time in the studio, then go cook up some dinner.
Danny: And post too much rambling on Twitter.
Here’s The C90s new mixtape. Play it loud!
01. Dana Bergquist & Peder G – Can’t Get Enough (Midnight Savari Remix)
02. Ajello ft. Hard Ton – Chocolate Black Leather (Brennan Green Instrumental)
03. The Supermen Lovers ft. Rick Bailey – Take A Chance (Clap Rules Remix)
04. Deadly Sins – Smurfette
05. No Logo – Party Animal (Toomy Disco Remix)
06. Rushhour – Moogie
07. Debonair – Gimme Your Dub
08. Deep Space Orchestra – On The Inside (The Revenge Remix)
09. Zepp001 – Dearly Beloved
10. Rick Poppa Howard – Do What You Have To Do (Instrumental)
11. James Curd ft. Devin Byrnes – Open Up Your Mind
12. Siriusmo – Good Idea
13. Deee-Lite – Groove Is In The Heart (Gigamesh Remix)
14. Round Table Knights – Stomper
15. In Flagranti – Hallow Discourse
16. Kolsch – Loreley
17. Benoit & Sergio – Boy Trouble
Download it here and enjoy!